Stop the spread of germs
- Wash your hands frequently, especially if you are blowing your nose, sneezing or coughing
- Wash your children’s hands frequently, especially when they get home from school, day care or playing with friends
- Wash your children’s toys. You can use a gentle soap like BioKleen
- Do not share cups, utensils, lip balms, or toothbrushes
- Keep your hands away from your face; i.e. rubbing your eyes, biting your nails
Keep your gut healthy
- Probiotics/Orthobiotic/Therbiotic Complete: The good bacteria live in our noses, throats, lungs and digestive tract. This is our first line of defense. Plenty of good bacteria allows our body to fight more cold and flu viruses.
Keep your immune system healthy
- Take your multivitamin daily
- Consider increasing Vitamin D intake, check with you doctor before increasing your dose
- Take Vitamin C daily
- Limit your sugar intake. Sugar intake reduces immune system function for several hours after consuming
At the first signs of your child getting sick
- Vitamin A: this dosage is weight dependent, please check with Dr. Rittling for a specific dosage for your child
- Elderberry Syrup: this dosage is weight dependent, please check with Dr Rittling for a specific dosage for your child
- Vitamin C: 250mg-500mg 3-6 times a day
- Fluids: try to encourage fluid intake while sick (water, smart water, coconut water)
- Frankincense, eucalyptus, lavender, and peppermint are all great essential oils to help with congestion, coughs and fevers
- Homeopathic remedies: Homeopathy works very well against colds and flu. There are many very effective homeopathic remedies for treating the flu. They will be prescribed based on your specific symptoms, call to schedule an appointment.
At the first sign of an illness in an adult
- Vitamin A: Please check with your doctor for an appropriate dosage. This should not be taken if you are pregnant.
- Vitamin C: 1000 mg every 2-3 hours that you are awake
- Herbal anti-virals/anti-bacterials. There are several herbal formulas that are effective for helping your body fight off the viral/bacteria that is causing your illness. Check with your doctor to determine which herbal formula would be right for you.
- Fluids: at least 6-8 oz glasses of water a day
- Homeopathic remedies: Homeopathy works very well against colds and flu. There are many very effective homeopathic remedies for treating the flu. They will be prescribed based on your specific symptoms, call to schedule an appointment
- Acupuncture: Can be very effective to ease coughs, sinus congestion, aches and pains associated with colds and flu but can also stimulate the immune system.