Healthy Summer Travel
Summer is here and that means summer travel! It is so fun to get away, and out of the Arizona heat. Traveling is always a little stressful for me (don’t get me wrong I love to get away and explore new cities and states) because I am vegan, gluten free and sugar free. It is a challenge to eat this way while at home and even more so when I am away from my kitchen. I have put together some of the ways I make eating healthy easy while traveling.
Pack snacks! Pack more than you think you will need and pack a variety.
· Trail mix: My favorite is a mix of almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries. You can get creative and use any type of nuts, seeds and dried fruit.
· Popcorn: they have snack size bags which fit perfectly in your purse!
· Raw veggies and hummus: cut up some carrots, cucumbers, celery and pack in a container. There are several brands of hummus that now package in single serve containers
· Apple and almond butter: Justin’s, Barney’s Butter, and Artisana all make single serve packets. Be sure to read the labels, some of the varieties have sugar added
· Protein/snack Bars: Cliff Kit’s Organic Fruit and Nut Bar, Larabar, Amrita Protein Bar, R Bar, Square Organics, Pure Organics, GoMacro all make pretty tasty bars. Again be sure to read labels if you are avoiding sugar, some of the flavors do have sugar.
Pack individual packets of your favorite protein powder. Sun Warrior and Vega One make single serve packets. Occasionally packing these packets of protein powder in your carry on will cause TSA to want to search your bag (it has happened to me a couple times, so I give myself an extra 5 minutes just in case).
Pack Digestive Enzymes. For those of us that are lucky to only be sensitive, and not allergic, to certain foods, popping a digestive enzyme before eating any meal that is questionable (ingredient wise) or if you need/want to “cheat”, can help reduce bloating and other not so pleasant symptoms.
Find a health food store or well stock grocery store nearby. I will stop and grab some shelf stable almond milk to use for my protein powder if needed. I also stock up on snacks (see above).
Research the area that you are traveling to. I like to use a travel app and look up the restaurants that are nearby and then check out their website to look over the menu. I like to have 3 or 4 places that I know I can eat at before I leave for the trip.
Happy and healthy travels!!!